How to Find a Summer Job
Decide what you want from your summer job. Is your focus money for post-secondary education etc. or to gain valuable experience that will help you in your future career? If your primary focus is money, consider labour jobs such as landscaping, roofing and construction. If your focus is experience or test driving a particular career, target the companies that you want to work for and show your interest in that organization.
You face a lot of competition when looking for a summer job. Here are some tips to help:
- Don't wait till you are out of school, look now! Many companies start their hiring as early as February. If you wait till June to look, it may be too late!
- Decide what you want. It is easier if you are focused on one or two types of jobs.
- 80 % of jobs are never advertised. Take your resume to the companies you want to work for.
- Network with friends, their parents, teachers and volunteer. Always sound eager and ready to work.
- A great resume makes the difference. Focus your resume on the type of work you want. Register with an Employment Ontario Employment Service Centre (find the nearest one here: http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/search.asp ), where experts and a great resource centre can assist in your job search
- Sign up for the Summer Jobs Service: 905-898-6199 and the Canada Summer Jobs Program 1-800-935-5555.
- Think about starting your own summer company with the Summer Company program at http://www.ontariocanada.com/ontcan/1medt/smallbiz/en/sb_ye_summerco_en.jsp
Above all, be aware of your skills, abilities and sell yourself!
The opinions and positions expressed in the above article represent the views of the author and are provided with no legal obligation and liability on the part of either the author or the publisher of this article, and with no implied or stated guarantees. The publisher of this article and the author are exempt from any liability for events resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this article. Copyrights over the article published on this page are owned in full by the article's author. It is prohibited to reproduce this article in parts or in full without the expressed permission of the author.