Vicinity Jobs
Bookmark and Share

Newly graduated from High School, Now What? Erin Kemp, Resource & Information Specialist, Job Skills

About the Author

Erin Kemp is a Resource & Information Specialist with Job Skills - Employment and Business Services. Erin has an extensive background working in the social science field and most recently completed her Masters in Sociology from the University of Waterloo. Working with people in the community is something Erin strives for and aided in her decision to change career paths to employment services. Erin assists clients by providing them the necessary resources and information they need to progress in their job search.

Are you newly graduated from high school and unsure of what to do next? Important considerations must be made as to whether there is a need for immediate income; whether there is a desire to find immediate employment, or whether you are ready to move into post-secondary. You should start thinking about what kind of work you may want to go into after high school focusing on skills, abilities and interests. There are many options for youth today.
  • College or University

    If college is of interest to you, take exploration assessments that will match your skills, abilities and interests to careers that may be a good fit for you. These assessments are available online or at an employment service office near you. After you have narrowed down what you would like to study, find out the educational requirements for your field of study. You can also take part in job trials to see if the career is right for you before taking the plunge into post-secondary.

  • Jobs

    If post-secondary education is not right for you at this point, perhaps finding a job that is of interest to you is the way to go. Some jobs do not require diplomas or degrees and can end up being very rewarding careers. Examples of some of these careers that do not necessarily require post-secondary education are: cashier, customer service, retail and sales positions.

  • Apprenticeship

    If you are a hands-on learner, maybe apprenticeship is the right option for you. Apprenticeship is earning and learning at the same time. 90% of your time in apprenticeships is hands-on learning a skilled trade on the job, while earning an income at the same time. The other 10% of the time in apprenticeships is in-school training for a specific trade. For more information, go to www.collegeoftrades.ca.

  • Military

    Another option for youth is to join the Canadian Forces. The military is an excellent career choice for those individuals looking to gain leadership experience and for those who are devoted to serving their country. For more information, visit www.forces.ca

  • Volunteer

    Volunteering is definitely the way to go for newly graduated high school students. Having volunteer experience on your resume can provide valuable on-the-job training and is beneficial for job applications and college/university applications.
Employment Services in your area may be able to further assist you with options available to you after completing high school.

The opinions and positions expressed in the above article represent the views of the author and are provided with no legal obligation and liability on the part of either the author or the publisher of this article, and with no implied or stated guarantees. The publisher of this article and the author are exempt from any liability for events resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this article. Copyrights over the article published on this page are owned in full by the article's author. It is prohibited to reproduce this article in parts or in full without the expressed permission of the author.